Sunday, January 31, 2016

Find Your Name Black Bean Sensory Bin


I am very excited to be working with a little boy in my daughter's kindergarten class who needs some extra attention.  The teacher told me that he has had some trouble recognizing his name so she asked me to work on that with him.  I've come up with some ideas that would be fun all while learning. Last week I used cars to help learn his name with our Car Name Game.  This week I'm sharing a new fun way to learn/recognize a child's name.

I had a black bean bin already set up that I had used with my daughter with different projects and thought I could use this for some name recognition fun.  I added some bright colored balloon stickers with letters on them that looked great against the black beans.  I put all the letters of the boys name along with some other letters not in his name and also some blank ones.

I was thrilled to see him dig right in and really enjoy the sensory part of this activity.  I asked him to find the balloon stickers and to put all the letters of his name in a pile separate from the letters not in his name.  As for the blank balloon stickers he put those in another pile.

We use a laminated sheet with his name on it when we do our name activities so that he has that as a reference when learning to recognize his name.

Once all the stickers were sorted I asked him to stick the stickers on a piece of paper spelling out his name, he did great!  I then asked him to write the letters of his name on the blank balloon stickers and stick those onto paper too.

He was so proud of himself as was I!  The black beans and bright colored balloon stickers was a real hit in helping this little boy learn the letters in his name!

More to come on name activities....stay tuned!

11 comments:

  1. This would be a fun one for practicing spelling words too (what we're working on now!) I love the black bean base - makes such a great contrast to the colorful balloons! #ThoughtfulSpot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Emma, that would be fun! My daughter is learning sight words right now and I could use these balloons for that, too!!

      Delete
  2. You know I love this activity. Will be playing with my three year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun way to learn letters, numbers, shapes, words! I hope you have a great time with it!

      Delete
  3. Good idea! I'll have to save this activity when my little guy reaches this stage. I pinned you activity to my language pinterest board :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this will be an activity that you will use with your son!!

      Delete
  4. Wow! You are amazing ! What a grand job you did for the little boy! Thanks for sharing it with us #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes, us too! So many fun ways to learn when sensory bins are involved!

      Delete