Sunday, February 8, 2015

Our Bird Seed Mitten Tree


We just read the book, The Mitten Tree and I closed the book saying, "I love this book!"  My daughter liked how the old lady in the book was so kind to make mittens for the children.  I knew I wanted to pair this book with an activity and wondered how we could help someone or something like the old lady in the book.


We have ALOT of snow here and ALOT of birds so I thought maybe we could make 'mittens' for the birds.....Bird Seed Mittens!  Just like Sarah in the book this would be our way to show kindness but in our case to the birds especially since all the snow makes it hard for them to find food.

This is not our first time making DIY bird feeders.  Last winter we made these recycled cardboard tube bird feeders.  The only difference this time is sticking with the theme of The Mitten Tree book by cutting out some cardboard into the shape of mittens.

What we used:
Cardboard
Scissors
Hole punch
Yarn or string
Peanut Butter
Bird Seed

First, I cut out some cardboard into the shape of mittens (I am terrible free hand so please be forgiving here, lol)  Using a hole punch make a hole at the top.


Next, start spreading on the peanut butter


.....and sprinkling on the seed


Finally, it's time to find the perfect tree branch to hang them on.




Here are some shots I took from inside the house of the birds enjoying our Bird Seed Mittens!


 This activity is super easy and the children will love the rewards of seeing firsthand how they can help our fine feathered friends!

It took less than a week and as you can see the birds thoroughly enjoyed their Bird Seed Mitten Tree! It's almost all completely gone!









15 comments:

  1. It's lovely to combine a book with an activity. I love your bird feeders #Parenting-pin-it-party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thanks for stopping by! We love pairing books with activities too! Have a great day :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea! Lovely to see that the birds enjoyed it :) #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has been great fun and rewarding for my daughter to be able to watch the birds enjoying what she made for them :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for contributing to Motivation Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love this! Thanks for sharing on the Frugal Family Linky! This will be one of my feature posts! Evelyne @www.nemcsokfarms.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evelyne! I've been meaning to e-mail you! So nice to see you back with the KBN family again! Thanks so much for the feature :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! Our birds have sure enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Danya! We had fun with it and the birds LOVED them!

      Delete
  7. I love this activity! I can't wait to read The Mitten Tree and make bird seed mittens with my kiddos! Visiting from the #KidLitBlogHop :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is so sweet! I hope you and your kids have as much fun making them and watching the birds enjoy as we did!

      Delete
  8. What a cute book and idea! Looks like your kiddo loved it!
    I will have to check out this book.

    Naila Moon (#KLBH Hostess)
    http://readingauthors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naila! It was such a sweet book and glad we accidentally happened across it at the library! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete